Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: The 19's

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Try this thread:

    Link to thread

  2. #12
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I wrote to Jim Easily in connection with those prints. It seems as though he did some remarkable CAD Drawings of the Mod 19. In the mean time I'm looking around to see if I can stumble upon them.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Is anyone interested in this stuff? If not, I'll shut up.
    Ron

    Ive been watching your posts Ron, and your doing
    a fine job. Keep us posted. Are you going to do
    anything with the crossover? E-mail me the 19 plans
    if you cant post them forums

    Never heard the 19s, I would like to find a set locally
    some time. Klipsch are more common around here and
    easier to find on the East Coast

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm going to leave the crossovers stock for now. I know they can be improved on, but I don't know what caps would sound good. I tried that once with my duplexes.....very similar crossover, and the results wer not good. Cost me over $100 and the caps are now just sitting in my bench.
    It will take me quite some time to generate drawings.......
    I also contacted Jim Easley but he did not respond.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Ron

  5. #15
    Inactive Member KCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2003
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSS:
    I'm going to leave the crossovers stock for now. I know they can be improved on, but I don't know what caps would sound good. I tried that once with my duplexes.....very similar crossover, and the results wer not good. Cost me over $100 and the caps are now just sitting in my bench.
    Ron
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just bought a pair of 19's from L & M in Butler, PA. They have displaced a pair of Klipsch La Scala's quite easily, so I'm very happy with them. I have already built replacement crossovers with foil inductors and Audiocap Theta's. I can relate to your experience, 'cause I don't like them at all. The highs are more extended, the bass is tighter, but they just don't have the magic that the stock ones provide. That's why I was asking about the polarity in the diaphragm thread, maybe I'll try these again with polarity reversed......

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    So your 19's must have the older 802-8G drivers. They had the screw terminals on the diaphragm. The newer 902's have push on terminals and they are labeled + and -.
    That L1 always confused me too.

    When I put fancy caps in my X-overs, I was glad I had saved the originals and didn't just cut them out!

    I have often heard that horns will reveal everything fed to them, so no doubt one would want to use caps with a "soft" signature.
    Jeff Markwart can comment.

    BTW....I haven't even listened to my 19's yet. Stiffening the box better not screw them up!

    Ron

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Ron,
    If you are still thinking of measuring the 19s I would be happy to draw them in autocad. With a few faxed sketches and a bit of back and forth we should be able to get an accurate drawing. I am also able to print to a pdf. so we could end up with a drawing in a more universal format. Send me a private email if you want to give it a go. [email protected] remove ?no spam?
    Regards,
    Marty

  8. #18
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Marty I think you should contact Jeff at this thread he needs the type of help you're offering. He has an original Mod. 19 print and will be interested in posting on his site. http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...f/3729/t/1432o be converted to pdf.
    Anthony

  9. #19
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Marty I think you should contact Jeff at this thread he needs the type of help you're offering. He has an original Mod. 19 print be converted to a pdf file and he is interested in posting it on his site. http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult.../f/3729/t/1432
    Anthony
    Sorry so the double past moderator please delete the first.

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I have all of the bracing added to the inside of the cabinets. I used four 2x2 braces glued and screwed in place. 2 horizontally across the back to agument the diagonal brace Altec had, and one diagonal brace on each side.
    The difference is significant. Where the cab used to sound hollow when pounded on with my hand, it now sounds solid and dead.
    The bracing removed .18 cubic feet from the enclosure, hopefully this will be insignificant. I have an idea to remedy this if I need to down the road.
    I have also added provisions to use 6 bolts to hold the tops on instead of the 2 spindly ones Altec used. And I'll put a thin gasket between the top and the bottom to seal it all up.
    I haven't received my cones from GPA yet, but I expect them this week. Should only take a few days for my local shop to install them.
    I now need to damp the horns, re-wire the crossovers and add some nice binding posts to the rear of the cabs.......instead of on the bottom!

    Jeff, I hope you can find a way to scan those plans. I still don't mind measuring mine and coming up with a drawing, but that will take me some time. A sketch artist I'm not! And we are still working on the rat motor......

    Ron forums forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.